The Wisdom of George Santayana
- Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
- To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring.
- Never build your emotional life on the weaknesses of others.
- History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren’t there.
- Friends are generally of the same sex, for when men and women agree, it is only in the conclusions; their reasons are always different.
- Tyrants are seldom free; the cares and the instruments of their tyranny enslave them.
- The Difficult is that which can be done immediately; the Impossible that which takes a little longer.
- Prayer, among sane people, has never superseded practical efforts to secure the desired end.